Kids Outdoors Otsego – Family Color Hike at Groen Nature Preserve
Saturday, October 14
Location:10950 Heatherton Road
Johannesburg, MI 49751
10:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Hello KOO friends,
It’s been a while since our last event, so time for a Kids Outdoors Otsego family hike!
Saturday October 14, 2023,
10:00 am to noon
Louis M Groen Nature Preserve, just west of Johannesburg MI
AND – we’ll be joined by Libby Benjamin, Education Specialist from the Otsego Conservation District.
- Hike and explore the trails at the Groen Preserve. Mixed woods, meadows, fields.
- The preserve trails are natural surfaces (dirt/ sand/ grass), best for walking, not good for strollers or wheelchairs.
- We do a moderate distance and a ‘kid-scale’ pace for the short legs. We’ll take time to explore and discover as we go. There’s always LOTS to find and learn in the woods and meadows!. We can do shorter or longer loops (longer going all the way to the lake)
- We’ll bring explorer things to borrow- bug catchers, hand lenses, etc. KOO will guide from the side and help out as we hike.
- What will we discover? There’s LOTS to find in the fall woods, and fall colors should be good!!
- We’ll have a quick make-it project.
- The preserve has a porta-john near the parking lot and a restroom back on the trails.
- KOO’s focus is on young kids up to about age eight years, with parents and other family also very welcome.
- Activities are all outside- dress for the weather that day
- Parents/ caregivers, you are with your children at all times.
- Come and go as you wish.
- Free of charge.
- We’ll have water for your water bottles, AND a trail snack.
Directions: Come to the Groen Preserve entrance at 2043 Gingell Rd just W of Johannesburg. From M-32, turn north onto Gingell Rd one mile to the entrance at the intersection of Gingell and Waters Rds. Meet at the parking area. Note – the other preserve entrance close to the center of Johannesburg is not open at this time.
Organized by ‘Kids Outdoors Otsego’ or KOO, a volunteer group promoting outdoor activity in nature for young children with their parents. Our partner for this hike is the Otsego Conservation District.
For information, questions, or to share ideas about this hike, go to –
• “October Hike 2023” | Facebook” event. October Hike 2023 | Facebook
• Email us at email@example.com
• “Kids Outdoors Otsego” Facebook group page Kids Outdoors Otsego | Facebook
Hope that you can join us!
Attached is a flyer for this hike, please feel free to share it with others.
Kids Outdoors Otsego, (KOO) is a volunteer group in Otsego County Michigan promoting outdoor activity in nature for young children with their parents.
Facebook group page: ‘Kids Outdoors Otsego’ is at https://www.facebook.com/groups/132168293513558